Sunday, November 29, 2009

Shell


The first and foremost difference between my last shell drawing and this one is that I drew a different shell. I decided to draw my smaller shell because it had a more interesting shape with more bumps and ridges. I wanted to try and challenge myself by drawing a harder shell, so I chose the smaller one. I liked drawing this shell's shape better than the last one, however I found it really difficult to figure out how to draw some of the lines. The hardest lines to draw were the ones that switched directions. It also didn't help that when I tried to earse the lines that were incorrect they wouldn't erase completely, making the drawing as a whole look rather sloppy.
Drawing big was another challenge. I had to start over a couple times to make sure it was big enough and in proportion. I used conte crayon to draw this shell and I think that is part of the reason the lines wouldn't erase as well. One thing I would like to improve is to draw the lines that are closer darker and the ones that are further away lighter. I would also try to create a cleaner drawing with less erase marks.
In class I was told that My drawing could be improved if I drew it at more of an angle. There is a long axis line, but a little more tilt to the shell would create a more interesting drawing. I also need to change my line weight. Like I said earlier, creating darker, thicker lines where the shell is closer to the viewer and lighter, thinner lines there the shell is receding from the viewer. Finally I could vary the amount of space between my lines in order to show the different curves and angles of the shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment